Re: Need to provide a way to disable _NET_WM_FULLSCREEN_MONITORS hint

Hey Giles,

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 1:49 AM, Giles Atkinson <Giles Atkinson eu citrix com> wrote:
That makes sense to me, but also prompts me to make an additional point about this property:  why is not specified as a conventional window hint, as well a client message to request a change?

The only way I was able to get this to work with Metacity was to map the window, pause a little with XSync() and then follow up with the client message.  That does work fine, but means there is a race that could cause a flicker as the window is first mapped on the WM's chosen default monitor and then moved.  Specifying it in the same way as _NET_WM_STATE, as both an initial property before initial (or first post-withdrawal) mapping, and a client message to change, would fix that and seems more consistent and logical.

I don't think I can answer your question. I'm guessing the design discussion that took place 2 years ago on this list (http://www.mail-archive.com/wm-spec-list gnome org/msg00594.html and friends) hashed this out. I know it went through a couple of revisions before this hint arrived in its current form, and I wasn't part of those initial discussions.

Hm... but as to your situation... it sounds like you're trying to create a window that initially spans multiple monitors? Did you try setting _NET_WM_FULLSCREEN_MONITORS, then _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN before showing the X window?

--
-[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper    //  http://movingparts.net ]-
-[ KDE PIM Developer         //  http://www.kde.org  ]-