Re: Compositing managers spec

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:54:52 +0100 Dennis Kasprzyk
<onestone opencompositing org> babbled:

> Sanel Zukan wrote:
>
> >>  The _NET_WM_CM_Sn selection is already widely used and it's been in the
> >>  spec
> >> for a while, so it's a question if we want to break backwards
> >> compatibility there just because the name doesn't quite look right.
> >
> > Hm... currently this property (and/or _NET_WM_WINDOW_OPACITY) are
> > possible candidates for this spec (am I correct?). Anyone have
> > more proposals?
> >

> - More color controls (BRIGHTNESS/SATURATION/GAMMA...)
> - Taskbar preview handling
> - _NET_CM_SUPPORTED to inform apps about composite manager features
> - Give applications control to some features of the composite manager
> - Maybe a desktop background spec to define pixmaps (and their properties)
> for multiple viewports/desktops

composite manager flags properties array. flags such as:

* do not delay my output to try coalesce rendering updates (if the composite
manager is smart and tries to delay updates by like 0.1 or 0.2 seconds from
xdamage events to try and wait for more updates to occur so it can update to
screen in 1 go and not in lots of small updates, making window re-draw look
"smoother" as it happens at once and not bit by bit, but some apps - like video
players and games, will definitely not want this as they probably do whole
updates in 1 go anyway).
* please provide a solid background even if my window is ARGB because i am
allowing the wm border/decoration to define the backing of my window and the
contents should be composited over whatever backing the WM provides (the
problem with window decorations is that they are separate from window
background. it is impossible to reliably have a titlebar seamlessly continue
into the app window with textures, patterns, shading etc. without fastidiously
fixing up themes/widgets/whatever of every toolkit. if toolkits were to render
to ARGB dest windows and simply NOT render a background color/pattern for the
window, but leave it transparent with all buttons, other widgets, labels
rendered onto a dest-alpha transparent ARGB window, then the window content is
a composited overlay on top of a window frame "Decoration" that also defines
the decorations UNDER the window contents, allowing for smooth transitions from
titlebars and borders into the window contents).

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster rasterman com