Re: Compositing managers spec

On Jan 30, 2008 9:02 AM, Sanel Zukan <sanelz gmail com> wrote:
> >  The _NET_WM_CM_Sn selection is already widely used and it's been in the spec
> > for a while, so it's a question if we want to break backwards compatibility
> > there just because the name doesn't quite look right.
>
> Hm... currently this property (and/or _NET_WM_WINDOW_OPACITY) are
> possible candidates for this spec (am I correct?). Anyone have
> more proposals?

This would go in the WM spec, but be related to CM managers..

Currently a WM can ping a window to see if it is alive or not.  When
it is no longer responding, it may want to provide different functions
on that window, such as killing it.  I noticed the cairo-compmgr has a
plugin to grey out windows which are not responding - similar to
compiz.  However, without some coordination, the timing for the WM and
CM changing their ideas about a window is going to be very awkward.

Therefore, I propose the _NET_WM_STATE_NOT_RESPONDING.  This would be
a state that the WM should probably ignore requests to set it entirely
(can anyone think of a time someone else might know an app is not
responding and want to report it to the WM?).  This state would allow
a CM to show visual feedback that the WM has considered a window to
have gone dead, and will be treating it as such.

This is my only thought irt CM support at the moment.  I think its
important to have a spec for CMs however, I don't really have a strong
opinion on having it combined with/separate from the WM spec.  I think
most of the hints may be, like this, informational hints provided by
the WM to the CM, and probably belong inside the WM spec at least, or
perhaps both.

Cheers,
Dana