Re: WM features

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 19:26:13 +0100 Lubos Lunak <l lunak suse cz> babbled:

> On Monday 21 of January 2008, kettani lalla fatima zahra wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > i have a question about window manager's features. Is there any WM that can
> > force an application specific window to behave as a system modal window?
> >  *I know for example that mwm offers XmNmwmInputMode* resource that can be
> > used by an application to set a system modal window, but i am interested by
> > a customisation that could be done through WM without being invoked by the
> > application it self.
>
>  If by system modal you mean a window that will block all remaining windows,
> then that is generally, with very few exceptions, considered to be evil and I
> doubt you'll get support for something like that. Especially given that the
> few expections work like described in another answer, with override redirect
> and grab.

agreed. irrespective of whatever a spec might say in mwm or netwm - i know i
would never support such a feature in enlightenment. it simply removes control
from a user. dialogs that hold your whole screen hostage are just evil. if you
must do it - then it will be your extra level of work to grab keyboard, mouse,
and so on - hopefully giving you a dis-incentive to try do this as it raises
the barrier of entry for the app programmer.