Re: struts, workareas and xinerama

On Jun 13, 2007 8:52 AM, Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> wrote:
> Dana Jansens wrote:
> > This has the property of being backwards compatible with previous
> > versions of the specification.  An application can read only the first
> > n (number of desktops) dimensions and ignore the remainder, and it
> > will not end up putting icons in nowhereland.
>
> It's probably not backward compatible; I know I've often written code
> that verifies the exact property length on various properties.
>
> But if the proposal is otherwise popular we can just use a different
> property name.

So, no one around here seems to have any objections to this idea re:
the WORKAREA property.  And I've seen more than one window manager
author complain about the lack of support for non-trivial xinerama
setups.  I would suggest that _NET_WORKAREA be deprecated in favour of
a new property, _NET_WORKAREA_MONITORS.  The same functionality of
using _NET_WORKAREA can be acheived from _NET_WORKAREA_MONITORS.

The format, as previously stated would be:
_NET_WORKAREA_MONITORS, x, y, width, height CARDINAL[][][4]/32

Which is an array of (x, y, width, height) tuples.

A window manager MAY combine two or more monitors together into a
single (x, y, width, height) in the property, if it deems this
appropriate (basically, only the trivial xinerama case, without any
partial struts along the long edge, all monitors using the same sized
desktop).

I would like to write a proposal for this if there are still no
objections.  However even simple submissions with no objections in the
past seem to get ignored on this list.  Who are those currently
responsible for making commits to the wm-spec document?

Thanks,
Dana