Re: [EWMH] _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_AUXILIARY

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 11:59 +0000, Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
> On 2007-10-04, Lubos Lunak <l lunak suse cz> wrote:
> >  I agree here. AUXILIARY sounds like A_SPECIAL_HACK. I think that ideally all
> > such effects should be in the CM, but in reality I would be fine with having
> > this VISUAL_EFFECT.
>
> I think it is simplest, cleanest, and most compatible for a compositing
> manager to _ignore_ override_redirect windows, just like the window
> manager does, _unless_ it has further information to the contrary. That
> is, it should only mess with their presentation if something like a
> _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE attribute has been set to indicate that the window
> is really a menu or something else that the application wants the rest
> of the world to know about and mess with.

That might really be a nice and clean solution. Maybe this needs a
clarification in the current EWMH spec? (compositing managers _must_
deal with all windows to display them if I understand that correctly, so
override-redirect should not only mean "ignore this window" as
compositing managers can't ignore them completely, but "don't do
anything with them")

Denis