Re: _NET_WM_USER_TIME reconsidered

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 14:02 +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:

> > I'd like to propose the following addition to the EWMH:
> >

> >   _NET_WM_USER_TIME_WINDOW WINDOW/32
>
>  That feels overly specific. What would be wrong with setting that e.g. on the
> group leader?

It is not an per-application property, it is per-toplevel. And reusing a
window like the group-leader which may also carry other properties that
pager-like applications may be interested in would only shift the
problem. Of course, you can still choose to put the XID of the group
leader in the _NET_WM_USER_TIME_WINDOW property. My GTK+ patch reuses
a window which GTK+ uses internally to hold the keyboard focus.

To respond to your question if this is really a problem: it is certainly
not in the "brings-the-machine-to-a-crawl" class of problems, it's more
"userspace sucks" and "we make our software do tons of useless things
and then we wonder that our battery life is worse than XP".

Matthias