Re: _NET_WM_ALLOWED_ACTIONS

On 11/21/06, Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> wrote:
Oleg Sukhodolsky wrote:
> Not exactly.  I want to show window which is similar to window with
> _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_SPLASH window type (asit is treated by metacity)
> but not "always on top".  And this window should behaves the same ways
> under other WMs.

This is just wrong. All splash screens should work the same way; there's
no reason yours is special. So just tell the WM that it's a splash
screen and don't do anything else.

Agree, but I do not want splash screen (in term of WM), but something
similar to it.

If you think the WM should be fixed (which sounds plausible) then file a
bug against the WM and fix all apps at once. If the WM is really broken
and doesn't get fixed, then people won't use it, they'll use a different
one.

Ok,  I will do this.

In any case, it's not your problem. The responsibility of the app is to
accurately describe that the window is a splash screen, the
responsibility of the WM is to then make the window have the right
window behaviors for splash screens.

Agree.  but my real purpose is to figure out what kind of control over the
allowed actions I have according to the spec.

Thanks, Oleg.