Re: _NET_WM_ALLOWED_ACTIONS

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 09:21, Oleg Sukhodolsky wrote:
> On 11/20/06, Lubos Lunak <l lunak suse cz> wrote:

> > > It is WM-managed; to disable things like that I think you have to use
> > > the old MWM hints.
> >
> >  Assuming the WM gives a damn about those. Hints are just that, hints and
> That's exactly true! However, I implement somewhat like a splash screen,
> and I don't wanna use the _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_SPLASH window type as it
> makes the splash window being "always on top" under metacity. And I
> don't want the window to be "override redirect" as well.

 So, in other words, if I'm getting it right, you're saying that you want to
work around the window manager? Been there, done that, still suffering a lot
from it. And you even want a standard for that.

> In this scenario, I can't tell the metacity not to show the menu when
> the user performs Alt-RightClick, on the other hand I have to disable
> the menu items I mentioned before. That's why I'd like to implement such
> a behavior. Does anyone have any ideas how?  Of course it would be
> better to have code which works with (almost) all WMs, i.e. use
> something from standard ;)

 What I think you actually really want is to a) complain to Metacity
developers that their handling of TYPE_SPLASH is insufficient b) send them a
patch c) use a WM that handles it better.

KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz