Re: Is _NET_FRAME_EXTENTS must be set?

On 12/4/06, Lubos Lunak <l lunak suse cz> wrote:
On Wednesday 29 November 2006 18:32, Oleg Sukhodolsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the part of the spec about _NET_FRAME_EXTENTS is unclear for me :(
>
> In _NET_REQUEST_FRAME_EXTENTS specs says "To retrieve such an estimate, the
> Client MUST send a _NET_REQUEST_FRAME_EXTENTS message to the root
> window. he Window Manager MUST respond by estimating the prospective
> frame extents and setting the
> window's _NET_FRAME_EXTENTS property accordingly."
>
> So, it looks like I (as a client) have to sent
> _NET_REQUEST_FRAME_EXTENTS to get
> correct extents in _NET_FRAME_EXTENTS.
>
> >From the other hand in paragrath about _NET_FRAME_EXTENTS the spec says:
>
> "The Window Manager MUST set _NET_FRAME_EXTENTS to the extents of the
> window's frame. left, right, top and bottom are widths of the respective
> borders added by the Window
> Manager."
>
> So, does this means that _NET_FRAME_EXTENTS must be sat anyway?  If
> yes, then when
> I can be sure that values in _NET_FRAME_EXTENTS are correct?

 The description of _NET_REQUEST_FRAME_EXTENTS starts with "A Client whose
window has not yet been mapped".

So, _NET_FRAME_EXTENTS must be set for every mapped window (of course if WM
supports this :)
Perhaps it is worth to clarify the spec for this property.  E.g.:

The Window Manager MUST set _NET_FRAME_EXTENTS for every mapped window
to the extents of the window's frame. left, right, top and bottom are
widths of the respective borders added by the Window Manager.

What do you think?

Thanks, Oleg.