Re: _NET_WM_[GET_|TAKE_|REQUEST_]FOCUS & urgency

On 5/25/05, Luke Schierer <lschiere users sf net> wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 04:34:57PM -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:

> > >  The idea that bullet was attempting to address
> > > however was window managers that restrict each application to a
> > > single layer, and force you to raise or lower the layer.  *shrugs* as
> >
> > I don't quite follow what you mean.  Also, do you mean each
> > application, or each window?  (And for legacy apps, can the WM tell
> > the difference?)
>
> from ICCCM, each application *should* be setting a WM_CLASS (amoung
> other things).  in short, yes, X can tell what windows are one
> application, and thus the WM can.  Interestingly, iirc, gnome already
> uses this, to collapse task bar items into single instances with a
> menu showing each window for that app.

Oh, right.  I should have known that.  (Unfortunately I didn't and had
to look up WM_CLASS because for some reason I thought it didn't do
this)  Thanks for straightening me out on this.

> I think we come to sufficient agreement here:
> there is a bug in gnome's implementation of DEMANDS_ATTENTION (it
> doesn't actually alert users), fixing it would satisfy our ideas
> on Z level and window placement level.

Great, let's go from here.  Can you file a bug in Gnome bugzilla and
we can move any further discussion there?

Cheers,
Elijah