Re: _NET_WM_[GET_|TAKE_|REQUEST_]FOCUS & urgency

The EWMH doesn't impose any policy.  Each window manager uses the
information from the hints to direct focus policy.  Though I believe
that all the window managers implementing this part of the spec have
chosen similar policies.

Gaim was specifically considered in the formulation of the metacity
policy.  Indeed, gaim is one of the primary reasons for the development
of the specification: gaim popup conversations are a severe security
risk.  What other application has the potential to so easily result in
the accidental transmission of a password over the internet unencrypted?

My suggestion is that if you think that the notification for new gaim
messages is insufficiently obvious, that you make suggestions for
improving support for DEMANDS_ATTENTION in the wnck panel applets
(Currently, the window is shown in bold in the window list).  Perhaps a
notification icon could be used, or something similar.

But, really, it all works perfectly for gaim as it is without any code
changes, since gaim uses gtk+, which automatically supports the hint.
GAIM need not do anything with DEMANDS_ATTENTION -- this hint is managed
by the window manager and an application need not concern itself with
this hint.  The only case where an application needs to worry about any
of this is when it launches new windows by communication out-of-process.

-Rob