Re: _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN suggestion

Hi,

Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Friday 25 of March 2005 20:56, Alexander Strasser wrote:
> > I have a problem with the way EWMH fullsreen is defined in
> >
> > _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN indicates that the window should fill the entire
> >         screen and have no window decorations. For example, a presentation
> >         program would use this hint.
> >
> > I think to make this really useful the definition should be extended
> > to force the WM to restore the original window position after fs switch
> > as this would be the expected behaviour by most users and it is often tried
> > to achieve by application programmers with XMoveResizing'ing the toplevel
> > window to the previous position.
>
>  The various implementations for fullscreen mode in applications do even much
> worse things that just this.

Yeah, i know :(
  I am currently maintaining MPlayer X11 stuff, which also does some
imho bad things. But I am working on getting it correct and this mail
is part of my afford so i can be sure the EWMH path is correct.

> > Which is imho bad and needless when having
> > an program for managing toplevel windows (aka the Window Manager).
> >
> > Anyway it would be much better if this could be handled by the WM and
> > would be defined to do so in the specs.
> >
> > I know that some WMs already implement it the way described above, but
> > I think it would be better if it is explicitly stated in the specs.
>
>  Actually I'd expect every same WM to do it that way. Is there some that
> doesn't?

  There are/were some, I got complaints about it one time on the MPlayer lists.
And iirc I have seen it myself when testing on 10 different WMs or so, but i
don't recall which one it was.
  As I said, I'd really like it to be stated explicitly so I can reference
the specs when somebody complains and I hope that way more WM implementors get
it right from the beginning.

  Alex (beastd)