Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:47:43 -0500 Billy Biggs <vektor dumbterm net> babbled:

> Owen Taylor (otaylor redhat com):
>
> > On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 18:32 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > > I've seen a few comments about this in the archives, but no motion
> > > on it.  Apps still need a way to draw themselves undecorated, and
> > > right now there are two ways to do it while still being managed.
> > > The first is mwm hints, which have no formal blessing by netwm; and
> > > the other is setting yourself to TYPE_DOCK, which works on every wm
> > > I've tested but is semantically bogus.
> > >
> > > So I guess the question is whether to make this its own atom, or a
> > > new value for _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE.
> >
> > What's the *semantic* reason? (If "dock" is wrong, then you must have
> > an idea :-)
>
>   I have one that I'm still not sure of.  Eclipse uses an undecorated
> window for its keybinding helper window, although it arguably deserves
> to be override_redirect (it does take focus though).  I am not sure what
> more general semantic type it could map too, anything I try to make up
> just sounds too artificial.

why not make it override-redirect? there isnt anything WRONG per se icccm and x
wise setting the input focus to your keybinding helper window when needed (on
click, mouse in etc.). you do need to be careful though - it likely needs to be
attached to a managed window as such and track/follow that window. if that
window is hidden, then the OR window should be too etc. (or moved etc.). but mwm
hints should work fine imho on these kind of window.