Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

Owen Taylor (otaylor redhat com):

> On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 18:32 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > I've seen a few comments about this in the archives, but no motion
> > on it.  Apps still need a way to draw themselves undecorated, and
> > right now there are two ways to do it while still being managed.
> > The first is mwm hints, which have no formal blessing by netwm; and
> > the other is setting yourself to TYPE_DOCK, which works on every wm
> > I've tested but is semantically bogus.
> >
> > So I guess the question is whether to make this its own atom, or a
> > new value for _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE.
>
> What's the *semantic* reason? (If "dock" is wrong, then you must have
> an idea :-)

  I have one that I'm still not sure of.  Eclipse uses an undecorated
window for its keybinding helper window, although it arguably deserves
to be override_redirect (it does take focus though).  I am not sure what
more general semantic type it could map too, anything I try to make up
just sounds too artificial.

  -Billy