Re: Proposal for a smarter behavior for raising windows on mouse click (#2)

On Tuesday 04 of May 2004 22:00, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
> On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 06:58:11PM +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > > _NET_WM_MOUSEMOTION_RAISE (not in the list and the application think
> > > that the application should be raised)
> > > _NET_WM_MOUSEMOTION_NORAISE (not in the list and the application think
> > > that the application should not be raised)
> >
> >  And I don't like that much this part. But even with good list of actions
> > such fallback will possibly be needed. On the other hand, I can't think
> > of any more actions than those above. DRAWING (when renamed to something
> > more generic) can mean any kind of working inside the window, and maybe
> > even TEXTSELECTION and SCROLLING could be merged.
>
> I think it is preferable to do not merge this two types. I've no
> strong arguments, but the fact that I want different behavior for this
> two types (so maybe others users too). I can give some details if you
> want.

 Yes, please.

> Some window manager can consider it equivalent some others
> no. I do not think that this can cause big problems at the toolkits
> implementation level?

 Well, I just said 'maybe', now that I think of it they are different. What I
rather meant by that paragraph is that there should be a good list of
possibilities so that those two RAISE/NORAISE fallbacks are rarely used
(preferably never), as otherwise we can simply have only RAISE/NORAISE a do
the apps do the deciding (which I consider the worse solution).

 I cannot think of any more actions that you listed though - DND, SELECTING,
SCROLLING, DRAWING (which I'd rather call WORKING with the meaning that it's
when you press the mouse inside the window and do something inside the app
with the button kept pressed). Some more ideas?

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/