Re: Proposal for a smarter behavior for raising windows on mouse click (#2)

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 06:58:11PM +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Friday 30 of April 2004 14:49, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 02:41:44PM +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > - instead of raising/activating/whatever the WM would normally do, it sends
> >   the client a _NET_WM_TAKE_ACTIVITY [1] message
>
>  Did you forget a footnote for this? (BTW, proposals for a better name for the
> message are still welcome.)

Sorry but I've no better names. Even, I think that the name is not so
bad at all.

> > - the client saves the message and If the user start a "mouse motion
> >   operation" the client sends the msg back and indicate in one of the
> >   data field the type of the operation:
> > _NET_WM_MOUSEMOTION_DND
> > _NET_WM_MOUSEMOTION_TEXTSELECTION
> > _NET_WM_MOUSEMOTION_SCROLLING
> > _NET_WM_MOUSEMOTION_DRAWING
> > _NET_WM_MOUSEMOTION_DUMMY  (not usefull motion)
> > ...?...
>

> > _NET_WM_MOUSEMOTION_RAISE (not in the list and the application think
> > that the application should be raised)
> > _NET_WM_MOUSEMOTION_NORAISE (not in the list and the application think
> > that the application should not be raised)
>
>  And I don't like that much this part. But even with good list of actions such
> fallback will possibly be needed. On the other hand, I can't think of any
> more actions than those above. DRAWING (when renamed to something more
> generic) can mean any kind of working inside the window, and maybe even
> TEXTSELECTION and SCROLLING could be merged.

I think it is preferable to do not merge this two types. I've no
strong arguments, but the fact that I want different behavior for this
two types (so maybe others users too). I can give some details if you
want.  Some window manager can consider it equivalent some others
no. I do not think that this can cause big problems at the toolkits
implementation level?

>  I'll add it to the proposal and post it here.

Great, Olivier