Re: Proposal for a smarter behavior for raising windows on mouse click (#2)

On Friday 30 of April 2004 14:49, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 02:41:44PM +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  Hello,

> - The wm detects if the motion was a "text" selection, if yes the
>   window is put back at its original position in the stacking order
>   and you can copy into the raised (focused) window (this is really
>   the **good** point, when you start to use this you cannot go
>   backward IMHO).

 I think I like this part :).

> - apps specifies that it supports the protocol
> - user presses mouse button on the window (inside it)
> - instead of raising/activating/whatever the WM would normally do, it sends
>   the client a _NET_WM_TAKE_ACTIVITY [1] message

 Did you forget a footnote for this? (BTW, proposals for a better name for the
message are still welcome.)

> - the client saves the message and If the user start a "mouse motion
>   operation" the client sends the msg back and indicate in one of the
>   data field the type of the operation:
> _NET_WM_MOUSEMOTION_DND
> _NET_WM_MOUSEMOTION_TEXTSELECTION
> _NET_WM_MOUSEMOTION_SCROLLING
> _NET_WM_MOUSEMOTION_DRAWING
> _NET_WM_MOUSEMOTION_DUMMY  (not usefull motion)
> ...?...

> _NET_WM_MOUSEMOTION_RAISE (not in the list and the application think
> that the application should be raised)
> _NET_WM_MOUSEMOTION_NORAISE (not in the list and the application think
> that the application should not be raised)

 And I don't like that much this part. But even with good list of actions such
fallback will possibly be needed. On the other hand, I can't think of any
more actions than those above. DRAWING (when renamed to something more
generic) can mean any kind of working inside the window, and maybe even
TEXTSELECTION and SCROLLING could be merged.

> - At ButtonRelease (and whatever happen) the client sends the message
> back with _NET_WM_MOUSEMOTION_END in the mouse motion operation type
> data field.
>

> This include your protocol but also allows a more fine "click raise"
> handling.

 I'll add it to the proposal and post it here.

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/