Re: extended WM_TRANSIENT_FOR (was Re: _NET: Disabling shading)

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 03:29:43PM +0200, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> The abuses of the transientfor hint I have already seen:
>
>   - transientfor does not exist
>   - transientfor mapped after the transient window
>   - transientfor loops (A transient for B, B transient for A)
>   - transientfor hint set to None (I think)

None is the same a Root, and means transient for its group.

     - transientfor group loops :) (A is transient for group, B is transient
	   for same group)

> I fear I would have to add
>
>       A   B
>      / \ /
>     C   D
>      \ / \
>       E   F
>
> :-P
>
> Assuming the WM is configured to automatically raise/lower the
> whole tree of transients when one window is raised/lowered, in
> which order should the windows be stacked if window D is raised
> (lowered)?

It should keep the same stacking order as it previously was, however, the
window which was selected for lowering/raising should be raised/lowered
against its transient siblings.

> Maybe extend the window_group hint to allow a window to be a
> member of multiple window groups?  To reduce the confusion, only
> the primary group should be considered for placement,
> iconification etc.

What if you don't want a primary group?

Ben