Re: _NET: Disabling shading

On Wednesday 01 of October 2003 09:45, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> I think we need a _NET_WM_ANNOY_USER_IN_MOST_DISRUPTING_WAY
> message too ;-)

 It's called urgency hint, and it's in the ICCCM :). Let's skip the fact that
the only WM I know that supports it is FVWM, and it supports it by doing
nothing by default IIRC (but I may be wrong here, it's a long time since I
checked this).

> > My view is that this needs to fit in to a larger replacement plan for
> > the MWM hints. The MWM hints currently cover disabling minimization,
> > etc.
> >
> > My view on that replacement plan is that we should stick to the semantic
> > window types, and deprecate all hints that explicitly control the window
> > controls and other features. Modal dialogs should be implemented in
> > toolkits by setting the MODAL hint and hints such as TRANSIENT_FOR
> > indicating which windows are modal-shadowed, and that's it. The WM has
> > to do the rest such as changing available controls and preventing focus
> > of shadowed windows.
>
> I agree with that 100 percent.

 I agree too. I currently ignore most MWM hints in KWin, and those that are
not ignored are considered to be rather workarounds for non-EWMH apps. The
closing one is supported just become Motif programmers apparently don't know
how to have WM_DELETE_WINDOW, the resizing one is a workaround for lame
programmers not setting size constraints, and the moving one can be
considered a workaround for not specifying window type. Maximize and minimize
are completely ignored (maximizing is technically just resizing, and
minimizing is technically very similar to shading or not being on the active
desktop). Shading is about the same.

 BTW, the description in the rationale looks to me either like an application
modal dialog, which is something we already have, and IMHO it's up to the WM
whether to allow shading/minimizing/whatever of such windows, or it's desktop
global modal dialog, which probably none of the WMs here implements, and I'd
say also none of us would want to implement it.

> > We may well need to have a richer language for expressing which windows
> > are modal shadowed though; at the very least, the spec needs to be more
> > clear about how to determine which windows are unresponsive while a
> > window of type MODAL is active.
>
> Wouldn't the window group hint be a good candidate?

 Yes. I think we even have it in the spec already, in the description of
_NET_WM_STATE_MODAL :). I don't think there is need for more grained
specification of which windows it makes modal that what's currently in the
spec, as applications usually don't have more complex their internal state of
modality.
 On the other hand, I wouldn't mind extending WM_TRANSIENT_FOR to be able to
point to more than one window, as I actually recently encountered a problem
related to this WM_TRANSIENT_FOR limitation. I'll try to write a patch for
the spec and post it.

> > If it isn't clear "modal-shadowed" means "windows that you can't
> > interact with while the modal window is alive"

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/