Re: _net_wm_state_fullscreen

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 11:57:46PM +0100, Iban wrote:

>   - when (as a window manager) I receive a _net_wm_state_fullscreen
> message, may I, instead of undecorating the window, displace my
> decoration at the appropriated coordinates ?

Yes, that would be fine.

>   - in the same case shall I set _net_wm_state_maximize_vert/horz or not ?

No. A window may be both fullscreen *and* maximized, meaning that when
it leaves the fullscreen state it will be maximized. But fullscreen
has higher priority, and the two states are independent.

(At least, that's the only thing that makes sense to me.)

>   - Gerd Knorr already ask for this one, and the answer seems obscure to me:
>    when an application wants to change the screen resolution we have two
> solutions (as far as I understood the thread): VidMode and Xrandr. But
> it does not tell me what I have to do ? (except that if everyone use
> Xrandr I should do the expected work, because the sizes of the root
> window has changed)

For Xrandr you should clearly resize all fullscreen windows to
the new root window size. For VidMode, it probably makes sense to make
them track the monitor viewport. For Xinerama, you should fullscreen
to only one Xinerama head.

i.e. the short answer is "do your very best to make the window exactly
match the size of the monitor"