Re: screen/display switching

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 10:21:54AM -0800, Rob Adams wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, why do people still use non-xinerama multi-head?

One reason is if your two displays are pretty different (a large
monitor with good video card, and a small ugly monitor). Say you're
doing 3D work and you have the good 3D head and the lame read-my-email
head.

A typical use-case for non-xinerama multihead is that one head is
dedicated to displaying stock charts or some other data readout, and
one head is more of a normal desktop.

With current implementations Xinerama can also imply a speed penalty
and/or disable hardware acceleration in some cases, I think.

I run real multihead because the Matrox drivers had broken RENDER with
Xinerama, and I wanted to test multihead support anyhow. ;-) I ran
Xinerama for a while before that to test it.