Re: Drag and drop ( + alt+tab)

On Friday 13 of June 2003 20:48, Rob Adams wrote:
> Hmmm.. I'm not sure if that's possible.  The application has I think
> both a mouse and keyboard grab while the dragging is happening.  Perhaps
> we could add something where the WM could specify a key sequence which
> means cycle windows that the application could watch for and tell the WM
> if it happens but that would be really ugly and very hard to get right.
> I just fired up my vmware and it turns out that Windows supports this.
>
> Anyone have any good ideas as to how we might do this?  It certainly
> seems like a worthwhile feature to implement.

 KDE3.1.2 KWin actually can do Alt+Tab active window changing while doing DND
with Qt apps (and Ctrl+Fn for desktop change etc. too). Qt apps have only
mouse grab while doing DND, so it's possible for KWin to get the keyboard
shortcuts. Qt still gets all mouse events, and also gets keyboard modifiers
status, as they come in the mouse event too. The only drawback I noticed is
that when the mouse is idle and one presses/releases keyboard modifier, Qt
won't notice. But I guess a little XQueryPointer() polling when no input
events are available will solve that.

 I personally find this better than this suggested MAY_RAISE protocol, which
looks more like 'focus follows mind' technology to me (famous term among KDE
developers ;) ). Hmm. Perhaps seeing at least a proof of concept test app
would help.

> -Rob
>
> On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 11:39, Marko Macek wrote:
> > One other thing that would be nice to have when drag-dropping is usage
> > of alt+tab to switch between
> > applications.
> >
> > (icewm already supports switching between apps/workspaces by mousing
> > over the taskbar,
> > but alt+tab is so much more convenient).

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/