Re: frame size hints - for Wine

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 17:08:39 -0500 Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> babbled:

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 08:30:52AM +1100, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > how about making it easier for wm writers and for app programmers and just
> > have the window managed fully and go from there (just minus the map of the
> > window and frame etc.) ? as in my other mail? :) we just recycle what we
> > already have(mostly)
> >
> > app sends a "pre map" client message.
> > app waits for frame size property to be set.
> > app moves window appropriately
> > app does xmapwindow
>
> I'm not sure it sounds easier ;-) I know I have a reasonable amount of
> code that relies on the various invariants about
> mapped/unmapped/withdrawn/managed.  I also happen to have a function
> where I can just pass in the various frame attributes and get the
> frame size out.
>
> I don't know which way would end up easier to implement overall, both
> are clearly kind of annoying.

i guess i was just thinking from my point of view and for me it'd be easier. i
just add a flag to the manage_client() call to say manage it but just skip the
final step of mapping the frame (and client window) and setting the visible
flags. otherwise everything else percolates thru the system as if the window was
a window that was mapped once then unmapped but still managed so it would be
easier from my view - that's for sure :) hmmm...

ok - what to do, what to do...