Re: frame size hints - for Wine

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 18:50, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Matthias Clasen <maclas gmx de> writes:
>
> > Dominik said:
> >
> > > All these problems can be avoided by a "place frame at" protocol.
> >
> > Can somebody please remind me what the problem with using NorthWest gravity
> > as "place frame at" protocol was ?  (apart from the fact that some wms are
> > not fully ICCCM compliant in this area)
>
> I believe the proposal was a "make frame bounding rect x,y,width,height"
> thing. It's the width/height part that aren't possible currently.

Oh, you're right. Thats not currently possible. And I guess the
rationale given for the gravity in _NET_MOVERESIZE_WINDOW

(Using a _NET_MOVERESIZE_WINDOW message with StaticGravity allows Pagers
to exactly position and resize a window including its decorations
without knowing the size of the decorations.)

is a bit misleading in that respect. I think it should be reworded as

Using a _NET_MOVERESIZE_WINDOW message with a specified gravity allows
Pagers to exactly position a window including its decorations without
knowing the size of the decorations.

Matthias