Re: frame size hints - for Wine

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 08:30:52AM +1100, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> how about making it easier for wm writers and for app programmers and just have
> the window managed fully and go from there (just minus the map of the window and
> frame etc.) ? as in my other mail? :) we just recycle what we already have
> (mostly)
>
> app sends a "pre map" client message.
> app waits for frame size property to be set.
> app moves window appropriately
> app does xmapwindow

I'm not sure it sounds easier ;-) I know I have a reasonable amount of
code that relies on the various invariants about
mapped/unmapped/withdrawn/managed.  I also happen to have a function
where I can just pass in the various frame attributes and get the
frame size out.

I don't know which way would end up easier to implement overall, both
are clearly kind of annoying.