Re: Sticky vs All Desktops

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 10:44:27AM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 07:15:52AM -0600, Ben Jansens wrote:
> > The Sticky window state as most application developers and users seem
> > to see it, is that the window will not disappear when switching
> > _between_ virtual desktops, i.e. it exists on all desktops.
> >
> > The EWMH already provide for this with the 0xffffffff desktop. Is it
> > breaking the spec to send a window to 0xffffffff when i receive a
> > request to add the Sticky state to the window?
>
> I would say this is breaking the spec, yes. The application is
> supposed to be able to control those two states separately.
>
> > Are the applications wrong to provide a 'Sticky' setting but not an
> > 'All Desktops' setting? What is the recommended course of action for this?
>
> If I was writing an app, I'd probably make the "sticky" or "on all
> desktops" option do both. In fact the function gtk_window_stick() in
> GTK does do both. But I think it's wrong to try to do this in the
> window manager, as I can imagine apps that want only one.

Thanks for the reply. This is valuable information re
gtk_window_stick() and good information to pass on to any application
writers.

I also have a further question on All-Desktops support. The spec
itself does not mention that desktop windows or dock windows should me
automatically made omnipresent.

In the case of the gnome-panel (dock type), it sets itself on all
desktops. Whereas in the case of nautilus, it just sets the desktop
type, and expects to be made omnipresent by the window
manager. Perhaps some clarification in the spec could be added as to
which types expect (SHOULD?) be made omnipresent, and which should
not. Or perhaps none should and nautilus should be required to set
itself to all desktops.

I like having each application decide to be omnipresent or not because
this would let you have a 'desktop' type window that was not
omnipresent without it having to change desktops after
mapping. However, this also might break any netwm desktop apps out
there (heh, is there any besides nautilus and kdesktop yet?).

Thanks,
Ben
--
I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way.

http://www.icculus.org/openbox/