Re: Sticky vs All Desktops

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 07:15:52AM -0600, Ben Jansens wrote:
> The Sticky window state as most application developers and users seem
> to see it, is that the window will not disappear when switching
> _between_ virtual desktops, i.e. it exists on all desktops.
>
> The EWMH already provide for this with the 0xffffffff desktop. Is it
> breaking the spec to send a window to 0xffffffff when i receive a
> request to add the Sticky state to the window?

I would say this is breaking the spec, yes. The application is
supposed to be able to control those two states separately.

> Are the applications wrong to provide a 'Sticky' setting but not an
> 'All Desktops' setting? What is the recommended course of action for this?

If I was writing an app, I'd probably make the "sticky" or "on all
desktops" option do both. In fact the function gtk_window_stick() in
GTK does do both. But I think it's wrong to try to do this in the
window manager, as I can imagine apps that want only one.