Re: Window History Placement

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 12:22:06PM -0600, Sasha Vasko wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >For one thing, the extra property gives clients a way to turn off
> >
> >history
> >
> >>saving, which seems valuable.
> >
> > Doesn't of of the two geometries in WM_NORMAL_HINTS do the same?
> >

> >You mean USPosition vs PPosition ? IIRC that was meant just as a way to
> >suppress interactive placement when -geometry was specified, but those
> >fields are
> >almost universally ignored nowadays (and interactive placement is not
> >common
> >anymore).
>
> I would not be so sure about this. USPosition/PPosition are just as
> usefull as they ever been, and I can envision quite a few user who would
> get rather upset if interactive placement would disappear.
>
> What is exactly a reason why USPosition could not be used by the
> application to prevent Window Manager from overriding its position ?

I agree, these hints are not obsolete.

#define PPosition    (1L << 2)	/* program specified position */

This should be how a client specifies that the window manager should
not place it using any of its routines.

I don't see why a further mechanism for a specific window placement
algorithm is required. Shouldn't that be configured by the user, not
requested by the client? I don't want my clients choosing for me
whether they will be placed into rows, or randomly, or via history.

Ben
--
I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way.

http://www.icculus.org/openbox/