Re: Window History Placement

On Friday 10 of January 2003 15:29, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > > For one thing, the extra property gives clients a way to turn off
> >
> > history
> >
> > > saving, which seems valuable.
> >
> >  Doesn't of of the two geometries in WM_NORMAL_HINTS do the same?
>
> You mean USPosition vs PPosition ? IIRC that was meant just as a way to
> suppress interactive placement when -geometry was specified, but those
> fields are almost universally ignored nowadays (and interactive placement
> is not common anymore).

 Looks like I misunderstood one part of KWin code. But still, windows can
explicitly request a position, which should disable WM's placement policy,
no?

> >  Yes. But there's one SM_CLIENT_ID per application in 99,999999% cases,
> > so in
> > practive what I said should be enough (or one can use the SM property
> > instead
> > of PID, if needed).
>
> The problem is not multiple SM_CLIENT_IDs per app, but rather non-SM-aware
> apps, which are
> unlikely to have either SM_CLIENT_ID or WM_WINDOW_ROLE. You probably don't
> want all your
> xterms with XTerm/xterm to come up at the same spot.

 But then adding a new property won't help you either, as long as xterm
doesn't implement that one, will it?

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/