Re: FVWM: FVWM 2.5.5 and GNOME/Nautilus 2 (RedHat 8.0)

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 10:53:47AM +0100, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 11:47:54PM -0500, Roland Roberts wrote:
> > Has anyone else played with this combination of GNOME/Nautilus 2 and
> > FVWM?  Do I have it right or is it possible to get Nautilus to leave
> > my background alone while still creating desktop icons?

No, it isn't possible. But it's not fvwm's fault, it can't be done
with any WM.

> IMO, GNOME 2 and KDE >=2 (and in fact the EWMH spec.) take an
> erroneous decision about what should be a window of desktop type:

The EWMH spec doesn't make a decision either way; it simply supports a
method for doing what both GNOME and KDE do. They don't have to use
_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DESKTOP.

They do use it though because it's the best way to implement the
functionality. After trying all the different approaches both GNOME
and KDE independently came to that conclusion. The desktop does have
to be focusable, for example.

Anyone who strongly disagrees is welcome to try implementing desktop
icons the old way, the code is all open source, but all I can say is
have fun. ;-)