Re: what exactly is TYPE_DIALOG

Lubos Lunak <l lunak suse cz> writes:

>  maybe stupid question, but how exactly am I supposed to say if a window is
> TYPE_NORMAL or TYPE_DIALOG. One specific example why I'm asking are KDE's
> configuration modules run as standalone (e.g. right-click on titlebar and
> select 'Configure ...' - a window allowing the user to configure WM-related
> things appears, but it's handled by a separate process and doesn't prevent
> manipulating other windows). From user's point of view, it's clearly a
> dialog, it's even implemented using class QDialog which will set TYPE_DIALOG
> for it, but should it really be TYPE_DIALOG?

If this is your basic control panel type window with an OK button at
the bottom, my opinion is yes. Typically a dialog has the buttons at
the bottom such as OK/Cancel, can't be maximized, would be centered
rather than cascaded or first-fit for placement, etc. If it's a dialog
from the user's point of view it should be marked as a dialog so it
can get those behaviors.

The only trick I've discovered for "standalone" dialogs (with no other
app window for WM_TRANSIENT_FOR) is that they should not skip
tasklist, while for dialogs that are marked transient you can skip
tasklist and say that to activate the dialog you activate its
transient parent instead.