Re: frame size hints

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 06:56:47PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 11:57:13PM +0100, dominik vogt gmx de wrote:
> > In my eyes, the right way to "fix" the problem is to allow a
> > custom MoveResize request that refers to the frame geometry:
> >
> >   "Resize the frame to 1024x768"
>
> The question is, will that fully cover what AWT is trying to do, or
> does it need the frame size for other reasons?

I have thought about this topic a lot and come to the conclusion
that it is very wrong to export information about the wm frame
layout to the application.  It simply does not work unless the
application is willing to listen for ConfigureNotify events on the
frame window.

For example, in fvwm I can dynamically change the side at which
the title is displayed (top/bottom, left/right) without the
client window moving.  Such applications would never even notice
that this has happened.  And I shudder at the thought of
applications examining the geometry of a *shaded* frame window.

> I believe AWT has API that _gets_ the current frame size, which apps
> then use to do their own lining up of windows.

Horror!

*If* this can not be avoided, the frame geometry should be
readable cia a client message ("Give me the frame geometry") and
the WM replies with another client message that contains the
(unshaded) frame geometry.  At no cost should the window id of the
frame window be exported to the client.

Of course, that information is already obsolete when it is
delivered to the client.

--

Just out of curiosity:  What is so special about metacity that AWT
can not find the frame window?  Does that mean that xwininfo and

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, dominik vogt gmx de