Re: frame size hints

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 09:49:37PM +0100, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> a) these toolkits won't use it anyway

The motive for this post is that Sun asked for advice on how to make
AWT work with Metacity. Honestly, what answer can you give them? They
have to make AWT API keep working, now that it's been shipped for
years, even if they do deprecate the broken API and replace it, the
deprecated API has to keep working. As far as I know, historically
they rely on mwm-specific hacks and I'm even told some JDKs have
contained enlightenment-specific hacks.

The "walk up the window tree and find the frame" hack doesn't quite
work with Metacity, so they have to do something else. I'd rather they
do something I have in my upstream version that works on Linux as well
as Solaris and won't break every time I touch the code, so I'm
inclined to give them some "supported" mechanism.

I can give them _METACITY_FRAME_EXTENTS of course (which makes Sun
happy as they don't ship anything else), but that just means the JDK
will break on every other window manager.

I'll do metacity-specific if I have to, but I think it would be better
if any WM could choose to support this.