Re: missing semantic types

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:52:01PM +0100, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> It seems that the EWMH currently offers no semantic window type that
> adequately describes the kind of windows called "alerts" in the gnome hig
> (http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/hig-diff/windows.html#alert-windows).
> Should we add a _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_ALERT for this ?

If GNOME is going to have those kind of windows then it probably needs
a semantic type. (Urgency hint isn't right, these aren't necessarily
urgent.)

However if no one except GNOME is going to have those kind of windows,
we may as well set the window type to a list;

 _GNOME_WINDOW_TYPE_ALERT, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DIALOG

That's why we added the list feature after all. And we'd probably set
a list even if it was _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_ALERT for back compat
purposes.

So it's sort of a question of whether other environments want to
distinguish these windows, that determines what namespace to put the
type in.