Re: [Xpert]Re: User-level Tasks in Hotplug Scripts?

> > Actually one of the goals of the hotplug framework is to avoid
> > requirements to have Yet Another Monitoring Daemon hanging
> > around wasting resources ... likewise, to avoid needing to start the
> > apropriate magic program before plugging in devices.
>
> I wouldn't call using a few K's of memory a waste of resources.

Most examples I've seen start at closer to an M or two, which
does matter.  I'd call such issues workable, though obesity in
GUI frameworks has sometimes reached criminal levels.

Re access rights:

> Practically all desktop Linux distributions associates these kind of
> things with console ownership. If you're on the console, you are allowed
> access the graphics adapter, audio, floppy, cdrom, etc. devices. I don't
> see a problem with hotplug management following the same scheme.

Right, though it's not quite that simple even there.

The "single user desktop" model is well known to be the one
which is relatively straightforward to address -- and arguably hits
the "95% of end users" case here.  So long as one can kick in a
"no gui" mode for servers, and do something intelligent in the case
of multi-gui systems, that's a good place to start.

- Dave