Re: MWM hints

On Monday 02 of December 2002 16:07, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 03:13:04PM +0100, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  I'd rather prefer ignore MWM completely, and if necessary, include some
> > of the needed features in the spec This will be the 'no decorations'
> > flags only anyway, I think.
>
> I'm not saying WMs should follow the whole MWM hints or not, just
> saying we should document whatever it is they should do.  I think the
> "no decorations" hint at least should be followed though.
>
> > KWin until recently supported only this one, and nobody really
> > complained, besides some Motif developers who didn't know how to
> > ignore WM_DELETE_WINDOW, and simply used the no-close-button hint -
> > and after the user closed the window using the close button in KWin,
> > the app crashed (that's why I added support for few more MWM hints).
>
> Though, it would be nice if an app could "disable" the close button,
> if it's going to ignore it. Gray it out anyway.

 Hmm, perhaps.

> >  I'm afraid we'll need the no-decorations flag anyway. Currently KWin has
> > _KDE_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_OVERRIDE which basically means no-decorations,
> > and it is currently awfully missused in various places. However, I
> > remember that when I checked if it could go away, I found some places
> > where I didn't find any good replacement (sorry, I don't remember exactly
> > the reasons, I'd have to do a full check to find it).
>
> We do need a no decorations hint, IMO.

 Then I suggest we add this hint to our spec, and deprecate whole MWM hints.
Isn't it even said somewhere that the intention of the NETWM spec is also to
replace the poorly designed MWM hints?

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/