Re: MWM hints

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 03:13:04PM +0100, Lubos Lunak wrote:

>  I'd rather prefer ignore MWM completely, and if necessary, include some of
> the needed features in the spec This will be the 'no decorations' flags only
> anyway, I think.

I'm not saying WMs should follow the whole MWM hints or not, just
saying we should document whatever it is they should do.  I think the
"no decorations" hint at least should be followed though.

> KWin until recently supported only this one, and nobody really
> complained, besides some Motif developers who didn't know how to
> ignore WM_DELETE_WINDOW, and simply used the no-close-button hint -
> and after the user closed the window using the close button in KWin,
> the app crashed (that's why I added support for few more MWM hints).

Though, it would be nice if an app could "disable" the close button,
if it's going to ignore it. Gray it out anyway.

>  I'm afraid we'll need the no-decorations flag anyway. Currently KWin has
> _KDE_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_OVERRIDE which basically means no-decorations, and it
> is currently awfully missused in various places. However, I remember that
> when I checked if it could go away, I found some places where I didn't find
> any good replacement (sorry, I don't remember exactly the reasons, I'd have
> to do a full check to find it).

We do need a no decorations hint, IMO.