Re: MWM hints

On Friday 29 of November 2002 20:55, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While digging through the archives for something else, I noticed this
> thread which IIRC we never did anything about:
>
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2001-December/msg00044.html
>
> I suspect WMs vary wildly in what they do with MWM hints right now.

 I'd rather prefer ignore MWM completely, and if necessary, include some of
the needed features in the spec This will be the 'no decorations' flags only
anyway, I think. KWin until recently supported only this one, and nobody
really complained, besides some Motif developers who didn't know how to
ignore WM_DELETE_WINDOW, and simply used the no-close-button hint - and after
the user closed the window using the close button in KWin, the app crashed
(that's why I added support for few more MWM hints).

 I'm afraid we'll need the no-decorations flag anyway. Currently KWin has
_KDE_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_OVERRIDE which basically means no-decorations, and it
is currently awfully missused in various places. However, I remember that
when I checked if it could go away, I found some places where I didn't find
any good replacement (sorry, I don't remember exactly the reasons, I'd have
to do a full check to find it).

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/