Re: issues for future version

"Matthias Clasen" <matthiasc poet de> writes:
> But if you read the section about activation under "Non-ICCCM features", the
> spec already
> says that activating a window may be more than "just" setting the focus
> (since you can't set the
> focus to an unviewable window).  Think about it: Why would you want to set
> the focus to
> a window  without "presenting" it so that the user acutally sees what he
> types.

On reflection, I think you're right that _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW works for
window presentation.

> If its already onscreen, it should be enough to just raise it, no ?
> Whats wrong with a plain XRaiseWindow in this case ?

For one, Metacity ignores restacking requests. ;-)

I think it's important to focus, so that if you are e.g. choosing
Preferences from the keyboard you can start using that dialog from the
keyboard; also, it's important to unminimize and get on the current
workspace.