Re: "What's this"

> From: Elliot Lee <sopwith redhat com>
> Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 12:36:57 -0400 (EDT)
> To: Jim Gettys <jg pa dec com>
> Cc: <wm-spec-list gnome org>
> Subject: Re: "What's this"
> -----
> On Sat, 5 May 2001, Jim Gettys wrote:
>
> > All that is really needed is to decorate the widget windows with
> > the class and instance data from the toolkit, and then one can
> > have an external process do the display.
>
> This is not sufficient to meet the requirements I had in mind. The
> application whose help is being requested has to be asked to display the
> help, because it can display it in a manner that best fits the item in
> question.

Yes, but it would get 90%, and would allow for help on toolkits
that don't do this at all.

So how about this scheme, suitably modified to inform clients, so that
they can provide help if need be to cover these cases.

> Also, this approach won't work for widgets without windows...
>
> (Not saying that that class/instance info does/doesn't need to be there,
> of course - if you want it there just file a gtk bug. :-)

OK, will do :-).  Where is the bug reporting system?
			- Jim

--
Jim Gettys
Technology and Corporate Development