Re: _NET_SUPPORTED

At 09:30 12/03/2001, Bradley T Hughes wrote:
On Monday 12 March 2001 02:36, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While implementing parts of the spec for GTK, I noticed that kwm and
> Sawfish intepreted _NET_SUPPORTED differently.
>
> Sawfish puts only the properties placed on the window in this
> property.  For example, _NET_SUPPORTED contains only the _NET_WM_STATE
> atom.
>
> kwm lists this, but also the specific values of _NET_WM_STATE that it
> supports. So for example it lists _NET_WM_STATE_MODAL.
>
> The spec says:
>  This property MUST be set by the Window Manager to indicate which
>  hints it supports. This assumes that backwards incompatible changes
>  will not be made to the hints (without being renamed).
>
> Comments? How should we clarify this?

I took this to mean that the window manager would basically list all the
atoms it knows about - this allows the toolkit to make some decisions about
things like window type/state etc.

For instance, I added code to Qt that detects whether or not maximization is
supported - and if it is, I use NET speak to the window manager when I want
to maximize a window.

This seems pretty reasonable - it would be easy to add to the spec:

<existing>
_NET_SUPPORTED
_NET_SUPPORTED, ATOM[]/32
This property MUST be set by the Window Manager to indicate which hints it supports. This assumes that backwards incompatible changes will not be made to the hints (without being renamed).
</existing>
<new>
As a special case the _NET_WM_STATE atom should be listed, if supported, along with a list of supported state atoms.
</new>

or does KDE do the same for everything ... e.g. _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE ?

julian

> Havoc

Bradley T. Hughes <bhughes trolltech com>
Trolltech AS - Waldemar Thranes gt. 98B N-0175 Oslo, Norway
Office: +47 21604892
Mobile: +47 92019781