Re: _NET_SUPPORTED

On Monday 12 March 2001 02:36, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While implementing parts of the spec for GTK, I noticed that kwm and
> Sawfish intepreted _NET_SUPPORTED differently.
>
> Sawfish puts only the properties placed on the window in this
> property.  For example, _NET_SUPPORTED contains only the _NET_WM_STATE
> atom.
>
> kwm lists this, but also the specific values of _NET_WM_STATE that it
> supports. So for example it lists _NET_WM_STATE_MODAL.
>
> The spec says:
>  This property MUST be set by the Window Manager to indicate which
>  hints it supports. This assumes that backwards incompatible changes
>  will not be made to the hints (without being renamed).
>
> Comments? How should we clarify this?

I took this to mean that the window manager would basically list all the
atoms it knows about - this allows the toolkit to make some decisions about
things like window type/state etc.

For instance, I added code to Qt that detects whether or not maximization is
supported - and if it is, I use NET speak to the window manager when I want
to maximize a window.