Re: WM_Sn manager selection

> Hi,
>
> Most window managers don't seem to implement the manager selection.
> Do you think it would help to add text like this to the EWMH?
>
>   Window managers must implement the manager selection described in
>   section 4.3 of the ICCCM, following the suggestions in section 2.8
>   for user-friendly behavior. In particular, when losing the manager
>   selection a window manager should unmanaged the screen in question,
>   and when an existing selection owner is detected, window managers
>   should ask the user whether to replace it.
>
> Ideally this could then be used to implement e.g. the GNOME window
> manager control panel. Right now that control panel does something
> like walk up the window hierarchy, find a WM frame, and XKillClient()
> the WM. ;-) Not nice.

Definately a good idea. There was also related idea discussed, that
would provide for supported specs version reporting same way as
supported ICCCM version is supposed to be reported using selections.
I remeber it was postponed to allow for faster release of 1.0 version of
this specs.

Also does it all go into 1.0 or we will start 2.0 ? With all this requests
for additional frame geometry properties etc. ?

As a sidenote: XKillClient on Window manager is a terrible idea since
it does not allow WM to restore geometry of reparented windows, and
make huge mess where virtual desktops are involved.

> Havoc

Cheers
Sasha.