Re: Initial window placement

Philipp Lohmann <Philipp Lohmann Sun COM> writes:
> I don't want the decorations to overlap also if possible, because that
> does not look good. But since my proposal did not find much love, i'll
> leave it be. I just wanted to discuss this.

I would like to solve the problem you presented, perhaps in the WM
spec. I just think we need to solve it in a way that allows us to move
toward the goal of getting the usability 100% right rather than the
current 90%.

I hope my long explanation made it clear why the 100% (or at least
99%) solution requires something more elaborate than clients setting
window positions. If you don't see the point I was trying to explain,
maybe I can try again if you tell me what didn't make sense.

The general idea is that we have a software system here, made up of
the window manager and client components; we need those to work as a
coherent whole. As long as both have relevant information for
determining window placement, that will require sharing info back and
forth; the "just trust me, use this position" approach doesn't work,
because it ignores the info known to the other party.