Re: Initial window placement

> Am 16.08.01, 21:02:46, schrieb <Sasha_Vasko osca state mo us> zum Thema
Re:
> Initial window placement:
>

> > Very easy to do without any additional hints.
>
> > Lets say you know rectangle within your client window that you don't
> > want to overlap. You then use XTranslateCoordinates to translate it
into
> > root coordinates. Then you decide where you have more space and want
your
> > dialog to be. Then you map it in this location and use GRAVITY HINT to
> > keep it out of the way. For example :
>
> > Lets say you want to avoid covering area of 300x200+500+10 and you
> fdecide
> > that on your left youy have plenty of space to put search dialog in
there
> > Lets say search dialog is 400x100. What you do then is you map your
> dialog
> > at +100+55 and request EastGravity for it. What happen then is that
> window
> > manager calculates reference point to be at +500+105 and it places
Center
> > of the Right edge of the frame window into this location !!!
> > As the result you get dialog's frame edging at +500 and not overlapping
> > your text. Bingo!!! That is only if window manager would go and
implement
> > gravity handling the way it should.
>
> > Even better - you could dynamically resize your search dialog, and its
> > right edge will stay put and will not overlap your text! Simply becouse
> > you requested EastGravity.
>
> > If window manager has policy of denying your PPosition and places
dialog
> > where it pleased to - then you are out of luck any way you go, it will
> > just as well reject any otherhint you provide it with.
>
> > There is no way you could get a-la MS Windows window placement in X.
> > Get used to it. Its just not possible, plain wrong and will absolutely
> > never work. If you want that - you'll have to write your own window
> > manager that in fact will be incompatible with anything else.
>
> *sigh* if you only would read the whole thing. Your solution will still
> not tell me where the decoration really is so i can't avoid it. And how
> would i decide about whether i have "plenty of place on the left side" if
> i don't know what the dialogue frame size will be. Secondly your proposal

You will never know what size of frame decorations your dialog will get,
up until the pooint when it actually decorated, and its too late to use it.
The best you can do is make your decision based on the size of your dialog
without decor, and then hope that it will fit in.

> won't allow me to place the dialogue next to my document if possible.

It is exactly what you'll be able to do - you'll get dialog's frame's
right edge adjacent to the left edge of your document. You don't want
dialog's  frame to overlap your document, do you ?

> Besides resizing the dialogue is not really an option, it will have a
> minimum size.
>
> Regards, Philipp

Sasha