Re: "full screen" windows

No, It doesn't mean that: it means that if there is something defined in
the protocol which should solve your problem, and there is a bug in
a window manager some place (where they aren't following the protocol),
the first choice should be to fix the bug in that window manager, rather than
kludge around the bug by making the protocols more complicated.

This is just a plea to keep things as simple as possible, and that
we don't necessarily have to live with bugs forever.  The dynamics of
the new Linux desktop market are very different than the "traditional"
Unix workstation market, which had ossified into irrelevance by 1992,
which made it difficult/impossible to fix bugs in lots of window managers,
causing the necessity to live with such bugs, apparently forever.

The revival of X based desktops due to Linux has caused a very rapid release
cycle to occur again, so we should not presume to have to live with other
people's broken code forever, as we did in the 1993-1999 UNIX
workstation era.

Clearly, pragmatism must temper this position somewhat, but I'm trying
to remind people the dynamics of the situation are very different than
they were 3 years ago, and argue for KISS.

And I was not particularly reacting very much specifically to this thread,
but a pattern across multiple threads.
                                   - Jim
--
Jim Gettys