Re: Initial window placement

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 09:14:34 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:

> There is a clear reason for adding it the note in the new window spec:
> almost no window managers get the case of XMoveWindow right.
>
> It is an attempt to rephrase the positioning algorithm in a
> way that doesn't talk about "shifting" an original position,
> but simply about where the window manager frame is positioned
> given the location specified by the client.
>
> (I find the wording a little confusing ... it needs to be read
> over a few times to get the meaning. But it is unambiguous.
> Which can't be said for the description in the ICCCM .

Well, so there's a confusing and ambiguous ICCCM and unambiguous
wm-spec and the text of wm-spec makes little attempt to explaint how
it's related to the text of ICCCM.  So far so good, but don't call it
a "clarification" of ICCCM then.

I don't want to say that ICCCM is cristal clear or that wm-spec is
ambiguous or whatever.  All I'm talking about here is that at least
for me there's an obvious *communication* breakdown in the wm-spec
text because as it stands now, its relation to ICCCM (whatever you
think about the latter) is not immediately obvious.  You cannot
clarify something by completely ignoring the thing you are attempting
to clarify.

I could have understood if the text was started with "ICCCM is
horribly bad, so ignore it altogether on this matter", but the text
starts with "should refer to the ICCCM for *definitive*
specifications" (emphasis mine)...

SY, Uwe
--
uwe ptc spbu ru                         |       Zu Grunde kommen