Re: Initial window placement

> On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 16:26:32 +0000, Philipp Lohmann wrote:
>
> > If Northwest gravity places the top left of the frame at the reference
> > point and you agree that when mapping the window initially the size of
> > the window should be taken as if it was the frame, then the decoration
> > should be as large as the window originally requested and the client
> > window should be shrinked to fit into the decoration.
> >
> > But you say that the decorations HAVE to be added. Now why's that ?

Initial size of the window should be taken "when calculating reference
point"
It says nothing about the size of frame decorations.

The purpose of that statement is to clarify question:

"Do I first  decorate the window and then calculate ref. point ?"

crearly answer is negative.

> The note says (after s/width/size/ correction):
>
> | when calculating reference point at the time of initial placement -
> | initial window's size should be taken into consideration, as if it
> | was the frame for this window.
>
> Well to me this "clarification" seems even more confusing than the
> original.
>
> ICCCM says that window is "SHIFTED to make room for the window manager
> frame".  I definitely read this as that the window must not be resized
> and the frame is added around the window.
>
> While ICCCM distinguishes window refpoint vs frame refpoint, the
> "clarification" speaks about some unqualified "reference point" and
> lumps both window size and frame size in one phrase in a very
> confusing manner.  So why this "clarification" is necessary in the
> first place?

Well, ICCCM description of all that is garbadge and over years generated
nothing but confusion.
While reading the entire paragraph you'll find out exactly what
"reference point" specs are talking about, how it should be calculated
and how it should be applied. Clear formulas. No confusion of frame/client
ref points. Just copy and paste it in your code - and you are done.

> SY, Uwe

Sasha.