Re: My comments on the WM spec (fwd)

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 Sasha_Vasko osca state mo us wrote:

> [snip]

> > > is this really per desktop ? or is the spec more correct ?
> >
> > The wording in the current spec made me believe so:
> >
> > "Array of two cardinals that defines the width and height of each desktop
> > in pixels."
>
> heh, not that I ask for change, but out of curiousity: What is
> the use of different desktop geometry for each desk ? I'm pretty sure that
> most (if not all) window managers will not support it, making all the
> desktops
> the same size.

You are probably right.  KDE sure doesn't support it, neither will
Blackbox.  The only reason it is in my implementation is because it
is in the spec. :)

> For this window managers, would not it cause race condition,
> when Pager will endlessly try to "correct" geometry to really be
> different,
> despite the fact that WM always makes it the same ?

Then the pager is buggy, and we should add a comment to the spec (again
;)) that the window manager may choose to ignore this message

--
Bradley T. Hughes <bhughes trolltech com>
Trolltech AS - Waldemar Thranes gt. 98B N-0175 Oslo, Norway